Wed, 29 Sep 2021

  • A Cape Town security guard died after being attacked by robbers breaking into a school.
  • Several schools were burgled or vandalised during the extended Covid-19 break.
  • School attendance was also lower than expected in some parts due to taxi disruptions.

A Cape Town security guard died after being attacked by robbers who broke into a school days before the return of pupils.

Western Cape police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk said the 59-year-old guard was attacked at a primary school in Manenberg on Saturday.

"The perpetrators assaulted the 59-year-old male while breaking into the school and stealing various items such as kettles, pots, a dishwasher and microwave. He was taken to a nearby hospital for medical treatment.

"A case of attempted murder and housebreaking was opened initially. The case was changed to murder after he died."

Manenberg police arrested two people. One will be charged with murder, and the other for possession of stolen property.

His death came as a blow on an already difficult first day back at school in Cape Town, with disruptions to transport because of the closure of a major taxi route.

ALSO READ | Lockdown: Schools reopen despite vandalism, taxi violence and other challenges

"This is a tragic incident, and our thoughts are with the family in this very difficult period," said Western Cape Education MEC Debbie Schafer.

She added the education department was generally pleased with the start of the third school term after the long break due to a rise in Covid-19 infections.

However, shootings targeting taxis led to lower than usual school attendance due to the disruptions, particularly in the City Bowl and surrounds.

"These 'commuter schools' generally have a high enrolment of pupils from areas on the outskirts of the city centre, with pupils travelling on public transport.

Schafer said:

One taxi association that commutes learners privately also didn't operate today due to the threats of violence, which affected attendance. We are, however, thankful that no reported incidents of violence affecting learners have been reported.

The SA National Defence Force and various policing agencies are patrolling hotspots in case there is a resurgence of violence targeting taxis.

Western Cape police arrested a 38-year-old taxi driver at a check point in Ntlangano Street, Nyanga, on Monday with a 9mm pistol and ammunition that he could not provide a valid licence for.

He is expected to appear in court in Athlone soon.

Schafer added several schools were also burgled and vandalized, saying information on this would be released later.

WATCH | Infrastructure challenges highlighted during Lesufi's visit to 3 schools

Meanwhile, the department is still processing requests from schools which feel they could not handle full classes while the pandemic still exists.

The return to school coincides with the closure of a taxi route between Paarl and Bellville for two months, and a ban on the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association and Congress of SA Democratic Associations from using certain ranks until a route dispute is settled.

Source: News24

More South Africa News

Access More

Sign up for South Africa News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!