Mon, 12 Apr 2021

  • Prince Lethukuthula Zulu was found dead in his Johannesburg home at Graceland residential complex on 6 November.
  • The four women charged with his murder were denied bail in December, while the fifth person, a man, is out on R3 000 bail.
  • Their second bail application, based on new facts, will be heard later this month.

The women accused of murdering Prince Lethukuthula Zulu, the late king's eldest son, are launching a second bail application based on new facts - a delay the royal family says it is concerned about as it "is dragging on for so long".

On Wednesday, Tshegofatso Moremane, Margeret Koaile, Portia Mmola, and Gontshe Tlholoe appeared in the Randburg Magistrate's Court.

READ | 5 people arrested for the alleged murder of Prince Lethukuthula Zulu

Their lawyer told the court they planned on applying for bail a second time based on new facts.

In December, Dakalo Mbedzi, the fifth accused and alleged getaway driver was granted R3 000 bail, while the women were denied bail.

Their lawyer Sibusiso Mkhwanazi said the new facts pertained to the investigation and that he had already discussed them with the State.

Prince Mbonisi KaBhekuZulu, the late king's brother, told the media: "The only worrying factor is that it is dragging on for so long, but we do understand that there are still investigations, and we are happy to wait for the results. It's still early dawn for us, more especially in this case; when the prince passed away, then his father passed away.

"So, it is difficult for us to cope mentally, physically, but we hope that with the prayers of the Zulu nation and the entire world (we will get through it)."

A night of sex and drugs

The women are accused of the prince's murder after they had allegedly drugged him and a friend. They also stand accused of selling some of the prince's belongings.

Zulu's body was discovered by security guards at his Johannesburg home at Graceland residential complex on 6 November 2020.

It is not in dispute that the women met the prince and his friend at a News Cafe in Randburg, where they bought the women drinks and later moved to the men's home and continued drinking.

Some women claim that Zulu and his friend had allegedly taken cocaine during the night, but prosecutor Yusuf Baba said police found no drugs at the scene. The only thing found was insulin needles, which Zulu used because he had diabetes.

The toxicology report is still outstanding in the matter. The bail application is expected to be heard on 12 April, while the matter was postponed to 19 May for further investigations.

Source: News24

More South Africa News

Access More

Sign up for South Africa News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!