Cape Town - Nigeria ended the hopes of Bafana Bafana progressing to the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) semi-finals after an intense 2-1 victory in Cairo on Wednesday night.
Here are five interesting stats and facts from the 90-minute quarter-final showdown.
1. Nigeria have qualified in nine of their 10 quarter-final appearances at the Africa Cup of Nations (elimination against Ghana in 2008, 1-2). They won eight of their last nine Africa Cup of Nations game (L1). They have won their three encounters against South Africa at the Africa Cup of Nations (2-0 in semi-final in 2000, 4-0 in the group stage 2004 & 2-1 in quarterfinal in 2019).
2. South Africa have been eliminated in their last three appearances in the quarterfinals of the competition, after qualifying in the first three.
3. Nigeria have scored three of their last six goals at the Africa Cup of Nations following set pieces situations (two following a corner, one following a free kick).
4. Samuel Chukwueze became the youngest scorer at the Total Africa Cup of Nations 2019 (20 years & 49 days). He has scored his first goal during his fourth game in the competition.
5. Lebo Mothiba has committed 10 fouls, the highest tally in a AFCON's game since Opta collect the data (2010), level with Yassine Chikhaoui (Tunisia-Equatorial Guinea in 2015).