Fri, 21 Jun 2019

A mechanic got the shock of his life when a 2008 Jeep Wrangler's radio mysteriously caught on fire while he was performing maintenance on the 4x4.

Fredrick De Silva, who manages the shop Desilva Motorsports, says he was performing a brake and oil change service when he noticed smoke coming from the head-unit.

Just in time

The video, captured by De Silva's friend, shows De Silva frantically removing the component before the fire inside the unit spreads and damages the rest of the car.

Driver watches helplessly as his Land Rover SUV sets ablaze in Mpumalanga - Here's what to do if your car catches fire in SA

He finally managed to remove it. Flames can clearly be seen inside the unit.

Fire issues has been a problem for Jeep, with a total of 87 000 recalled due to fires caused by debris stuck around the catalytic converter and transmission components.

More South Africa News

Access More

Sign up for South Africa News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!