Thursday 23rd November, 2017
11.8
13 ℃ | 18 ℃Cape Town
south-sudan-rebels-accuse-government-of-new-offensive

South Sudan rebels accuse government of new offensive

News24 - Wednesday 13th September, 2017

Johannesburg - South Sudan's armed opposition has accused government troops of attacking a town that has sheltered thousands of displaced people near the Sudan border and sending them fleeing again.

Opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel calls this week's alleged offensive on Aburoc an "act of terror against innocent civilians." The town had been one of the few remaining rebel strongholds in the region.

Aburoc had been sheltering roughly 10 000 people. Many had been displaced several times by South Sudan's civil war.

Government spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny says South Sudan's troops wouldn't attack unless in self-defense.

Aid group Doctors Without Borders says it has temporarily relocated its teams from Aburoc after tensions rose on Monday. The group's head of mission in South Sudan, Jaume Rado, says the general population is at risk.

Source: News24

More South Africa News

Access More
Loading data...
{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.SOURCE}}

South Africa News.Net

{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.SOURCE}}

South Africa News.Net

Sign up for South Africa News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!